Pages

Thursday 28 April 2011

It's been so long!

I cannot believe how long it's been since my last post.


Much has happened (not very much sewing!) - the most important thing being that I am having a baby! The run up to Christmas was mental at work and we got the exciting news about the little one at the beginning of January. It has all been a bit of a blur since then, lots going on. I haven't really had any sewing time, and to be honest I've been a little reluctant to sew things for me (I am a selfish sewist) as my belly grows. So I think I am going to concentrate on home sewing - particularly some quilts - and knitting for now, and perhaps some baby clothes?? Though that will also be a bit tricky as we are not going to find out the sex of the baby, so nothing gender specific... though I have a seven month old niece who I can always make frocks for. Progress in all areas will no doubt be slow!



In light of my decision to do some more quilting I have been doing a little browsing of the intraweb to find some helpful sites with basic tutorials, some of which I've linked. There is such a huge quilting community in the US - we have nothing even approaching that in the UK (from an online perspective anyway!).


Some good friends of ours are expecting their first baby on Tuesday (by ceasarean, so there really is a hard deadline!) and I am in the process of making a quilt. I was pretty happy with how my first quilt turned out so I thought I give something slightly more challenging a bash. I made the design myself (as you can probably tell from how basic it is!), but it has... TRIANGLES in it! I have made eight of the 12 main blocks, so I have four left to do plus the borders for each block then all the sashing, outer borders, back, quilting etc (yowzers - not much time between now and Tuesday) to do. I think I'll call it 'Spring' as the colours are all pastels which remind me of the start of spring.


Royal Wedding fever has taken over here and tomorrow will be taken up with that, though I might get a chance to do the last four blocks and cut out the borders in the evening. We'll see!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your exciting news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations...Life will never be the same again, but it will be richer in so many ways.

    Try and see if there is a Quilters Guild branch near you.

    If you get into making childrens clothes, you might want to look at getting a copy of Ottobre magazine.

    Relax...

    http://clothesandsewing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting!