Pages

Tuesday 7 July 2009

Jackie Oh..


So here is Jackie, modelled rather fetchingly by Maud. I wore this to a wedding and I think my daddy managed to take some nice pics, but sadly I don't have any of those yet. I had to finish it the night before I had to leave for the wedding, and ended up doing an all nighter... like an essay crisis - sewing crisis!

In real life, the fabric isn't as shiny and weird as it looks in the pics. The fit is ok - nice around the midriff but the shoulder straps are too long (the ribbon pinching was an attempt to shorten them!) - my alteration clearly not needed and in any event conducted with little or no accuracy.... gagh... oh well, I'll learn for next time. It is also not tight enough at the back. and gapes a little - requiring perfect posture with shoulders pushed back to keep it flat and nice! Comes as a result of not really fitting it properly I guess. But now I have Maud....

The invisible zipper also isn't great - not that invisible - but now I have a new zipper foot (though between you and me, there are about a billion bits to it and am frankly terrified at thought of taking my presser foot to bit in order to attach it).

So many lessons to learn from this one I think!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cyber Girly! I found your blog through lurking on Burda on the net. I'm a complete novice when it comes to sewing. I haven't even bought a sewing machine yet! But I have been (hand) altering clothes from the charity shops for a while, and I'm in to vintage dresses as well, which are hard to find in a perfect fit. I would love to be able to sew dresses from scratch though, and I'd like a creative hobby. SO, I thought: 'How hard can it be to teach yourself to sew?' I mean, there are books, and the internet etc. That's what I liked when reading your blog, that you wanted to sew so you just bought the stuff (machine, fabric, patterns) and started sewing. You are so brave! And such an inspiration!! So thank you for sharing on the net. I will keep an eye on your blog and see how you get on.

    Take care

    Little Miss Plump

    PS: One of my favourite websites is this: http://www.wardroberefashion.net/

    PS 2: I saw you commented on starting a sewing club in London. I might be interested in joining...once I buy my sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting!